Thursday, August 20, 2009

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again...

Yesterday, my roommate Chris and I set off to dive for lobster. This was my first time attempting to dive for lobster and I was unsure how it would turn out. Sadly, we didn't make it very far. As we walked out to the beach we noticed two things, the ocean was breaking head high on the beach and a large storm was moving in. After assessing our situation we decided to continue with our dive. Being my first time to dive with a spear, tickle stick (lobster snair) and my new fins, I was a little concerned how the shore break would treat me. It was less than kind. Within the first 30 seconds, I sucessfully strapped both of my fins on and than the calamity of errors began. I dropped my spear in water with less than 1ft of visibility, the storm hit and my BC decided to rapidy continue to inflate for no reason. I was basically stuck at the top of head high shore break, getting pounded, unable to dive down to find my spear in the murky water. Luckily my roommate located it and we happily exited the ocean. Some times things just aren't meant to be. I am headed up to Central Florida tomorrow and Saturday to catch the swell from Hurricane Bill. Early reports have the swell peaking at 10ft. I've surfed waves almost twice that big, but never surfed 10ft shore break. We will see how that turns out. Hopefully I will be able to post some amazing pictures. Until then...

No comments: